Affordable Motorhome Rentals Terms and Conditions
This document contains a summary of Affordable Motorhome Rentals (trading as Hoon Hay Hire Ltd) conditions. Please note all prices quoted in this document are gross and in New Zealand Dollars. Rates and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Quoted rates are valid for one month only.
To confirm a reservation a $250.00 deposit is required. The balance is payable, in cleared funds on collection of your motorhome. To make a payment please go to our secure site linked off our home page. Alternatively you can phone with your credit card information. Personal, company and money orders in New Zealand dollars are accepted as long as the cheque/money order is received 21 working days prior to the travel date. Affordable Motorhome Rentals can accept direct deposits. Please contact the Christchurch Office for further information regarding cheque/money order and direct deposit payment procedures.
Included in Rates
- Extra driver fees
- Fully equipped vehicles e.g. crockery, cutlery and bedding
- Standard vehicle insurance (imprint only excess applies)
- Customer care 24 hour 7 days a week helpline (toll free within New Zealand)
- All branches have local tourist information and maps available
- Iron and/or hair dryer, available on request, but are subject to availability
- Insurance excess reduction options
- Windscreen Insurance
- Diesel Tax recovery fee
- Fuel and LPG costs
Diesel Tax Recovery Fee
The Diesel Tax Recovery Fee is 6.5 cents per kilometer traveled and will be calculated and collected on return of the vehicle. Affordable Motorhome Rentals reserves the right to amend the Diesel Tax Recovery Fee upon Government intervention.
The credit card holder will be jointly and severally liable as a customer. Accepted credit cards are Visa Card and MasterCard. Please note that credit cards have a surcharge of 3%. Please note that we do not accept American Express credit cards.
For Your Protection
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. Affordable Motorhome Rentals strongly recommends that all people traveling to New Zealand take out personal travel insurance.
All vehicles are insured under Affordable Motorhome Rentals Standard Insurance for the damage to the vehicle and/or property of a Third Party.
Please see the "Exclusions" section below, whereby all insurance cover will be made void.
The excess is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident is reported. The excess will be refunded if Affordable Motorhome Rentals is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Third Party. Please note that:
- Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
- The excess applies in respect on each claim, not rental.
- The excess can be reduced by the purchase of Reduced Excess Options.
ALL INSURANCE EXCESS ARE HELD AS AN IMPRINT ONLY
All Affordable Motorhome Rental vehicles come with comprehensive insurance cover. A bond is held as an imprint only to cover the excess in the event of any damage to our vehicle and/or third party. The hirer will also be fully liable for demurrage - the daily rental rate for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs (max 7 days) and for replacing or repairing damaged windscreens and tyres. Overhead and under-body damage on the rented vehicle is covered.
The bond can be paid by cash, bank draft, or credit card. The bond liability is cleared on return of the vehicle to the agreed location, on the agreed date, in a clean condition, with no damage incurred to the vehicle and/or any third party, with a full tank of fuel, the toilet cassette and waste water tank emptied and no equipment lost or damaged.
Any fines incurred or accidents reported from the hirers’ dates of hire, received after the end date are still applicable.
Reduced Excess Insurance
This will reduce the excess, which is an imprint only, for any damage to the vehicle and/or third party damage to a maximum of NZ $250.00 per accident. No excess liability windscreen insurance cover is also included.
Windscreen Insurance, which has a no excess liability for the front windscreen is available at $3.00 per day, please note this is included with the reduced excess insurance.
Cost per day Excess of
- Included in daily rate $1500.00 (imprint only) – 1999/2003 series models
- Included in daily rate $2500.00 (imprint only) – 2004/2010 series models
Reduced Excess includes no liability Windscreen Insurance cover.
Cost per day Excess reduced to
- $15.00 (maximum charge per hire $600.00) $250.00 (Imprint only) - 1999/2003 series models
- $25.00 (maximum charge per hire $1000.00) $250.00 (Imprint only) - 2004/2010 series models
The hirer is responsible for the excess of their respective insurance for any damage to the vehicle and/or any third party damage. Please note that the excess applies to each accident, not each rental.
All insurance cover will be made void if any of the following "Exclusions" are breached:
- Any damage caused by willful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle)
- Any damage caused while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Damage caused to the vehicle by misuse of snow chains.
- The vehicle is in an unsafe or unroad worthy condition that arose during the course of hire and which caused or contributed to the damage or loss.
- The vehicle is operated in any race, speed test, rally or contest.
- The vehicle is driven by any person not named on the rental agreement
- The vehicle is neglectfully damaged by the hirer, including driver fault (e.g. burnt out clutch, tyre damage etc.)
- The vehicle is operated outside the term of the hire or any agreed extension of that term.
- The minimum rental requirement for a Christchurch to Christchurch hire is 5 days. The minimum rental requirement for an Auckland to Auckland hire, or a one way hires between Auckland and Christchurch (or vice versa), is 14 days.
- All motorhome rentals with a collection date between mid-December and mid-January are subject to a 14 day minimum rental requirement.
- Minimum rental periods are subject to change.
- Rental days are calculated on a calendar day basis. When calculating the number of days a vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental, regardless of pick-up time. The day of the vehicle's return is counted as the final day of the rental.
- Late pick-up or early return of vehicle does not entitle the hirer of the unused portion of the rental.
- Late returns will be charged on a per day basis. Failure to obtain authorization for a rental extension will result in a daily fee of $150.00 in addition to the daily rate.
One-Way Rentals are available between Auckland and Christchurch and vise versa; one-way fees may apply if rental is under 21 days. Relocation fees apply for any other city destinations.
Additional Products and Services
- Picnic Table $15.00 per rental
- Picnic Chair $7.00 per rental
- Gas Hot Plate BBQ $30.00 per rental
- Baby/Booster Seat $20.00 per rental
- Snow Chains $30.00 per rental
- GPS $5.00 per day
Extension of Hire
If the customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorization from Affordable Motorhome Rentals. The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. Failure to obtain authorization will result in a daily fee of $150.00 in addition to the daily rate.
Change of Location
If the customer wishes to change the return location whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorization from Affordable Motorhome Rentals. The locations change is subject to availability. Failure to obtain authorization will result in a fee of $850.00 in addition to the daily rate.
Situated at 480 Johns Road, Harewood. Weekday hours are 8.30am to 4.30pm. Weekends are by appointment. Please note the last shuttle ride into the the city is 3.30pm and the last shuttle to the airport or airport area accommodation is 4pm. Our Christchurch depot is closed Christmas day.
We operate through agents in Auckland, situated at 2 Beach Road, Otahuhu. Their hours are 8am to 4pm. After hours collection and returns can be made by arrangement with a $80.00 surcharge. The Auckland depot is closed Christmas Day and New Years Day.
Please note that our Auckland agents operate a scheduled shuttle to and from the airport and airport area accommodation. We suggest being at the depot at least 30 minutes prior to the shuttle you wish to catch.
Auckland Depot to Airport Departures:
9am, 11am, 1pm, & 3pm
Airport to Auckland Depot Departures:
9.30am, 11.30am, 1.30pm, & 3.30pm
All public holidays have a $80.00 surcharge.
New Year’s Day (1st January), Day after New Year’s Day (2nd January), Auckland Anniversary Day (1st Feb), Waitangi Day (6th February – observed on 8th February), Good Friday (25th March), Easter Monday (28th March), ANZAC Day (25th April), Queen’s Birthday (6th June), Labour Day (24th October), Canterbury Anniversary Day (11th November), Christmas Day (25th December – observed 27th December), Boxing Day (26th December).
New Year’s Day (1st January – observed 3rd January), Day after New Year’s Day (2nd January), Auckland Anniversary Day (30th January), Waitangi Day (6th February), Good Friday (14th April), Easter Monday (17th April), ANZAC Day (25th April), Queen’s Birthday (5th June), Labour Day (23th October), Canterbury Anniversary Day (17th November), Christmas Day (25th December), Boxing Day (26th December).
For further information please visit the following website: http://publicholiday.co.nz
Auckland: Affordable Motorhome Rentals provides free transfers to/from the Airport or Airport area accommodation on the day of arrival and departure at the scheduled times as above.
Christchurch: Affordable Motorhome Rentals provides free transfers to/from the Airport or city area accommodation on the day of arrival and departure at a time to suit you, within our operating hours.
Affordable Motorhome Rentals reserve the right to charge the hirer for any speeding or parking fines, associated administration costs and/or accidents including Third Party property not reported on return of the vehicle. The administration fee per fine, in addition to the fine, is $35.00.
Exchange Rate/Currency Variations/Bank Fees
All credit card transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuation and bank transaction fees there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. Affordable Motorhome Rentals does not accept any liability for variances up or down. All bank fees are the responsibility of the hirer.
A current and full (i.e. no probationary licenses are accepted) motor vehicle driver's license is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign license be in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a current international drivers permit issued in the same country as the driver's license was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving permit.
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over.
The living equipment (crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils, linen, pillows and towels) for all motorhomes are included in the daily rental rate at no extra cost.
Vehicles can be driven on all open public roads, excluding 4X Wheel drive only roads. Affordable Motorhome Rentals reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Affordable Motorhome Rentals as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give Affordable Motorhome Rentals the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any claims for compensation. Affordable Motorhome Rentals does not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period. A breakdown does not constitute a refund, unless the vehicle can not be used for night accommodation.
Change of Vehicle
Should the vehicle booked be unavailable Affordable Motorhome Rentals reserves the right to substitute an alternative vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the hirer to a refund.
Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked they will not be entitled to any refund.
The cancellation fees are:
- If cancelled up to 22 days prior to pick-up $50 admin
- If cancelled from 21 to 14 days prior to pick-up 20% of Gross Rental
- If cancelled from 13 to 7 days prior to pick-up 50% of Gross Rental
- If cancelled from 7 days to day of pick-up or No-Show 100% of Gross Rental
- If vehicle is returned early for any reason whatsoever no refund is available for the unused portion of the hire.
Affordable Motorhome Rentals reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.
No animals are permitted in Affordable Motorhome Rentals vehicles, excluding guide dogs.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for Rentals at time of pick-up. These must be paid to Affordable Motorhome Rentals 21 working days prior to commencement of rental.
Affordable Motorhome Rentals will not honour calculation errors. Should a calculation error occur Affordable Motorhome Rentals will charge for the shortfall.
Illustrations and text on our website are a representation only of the vehicle depicted. Variances in the vehicles offered for rental may occur due to substitutions made by Affordable Motorhome Rentals or modifications and/or upgrades to the vehicle design made by the manufacturer.